Job Description :
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a disciplined and motivated candidate to join the management team of an established commercial nursery near Ixopo, Kwazulu-Natal.
Reporting to the Nursery Operations Director, the successful candidate will oversee all aspects of the day-to-day running of the nursery, which specializes in the production of forestry, fruit and vegetable plants.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Management of supervisors and a labour force of 100-120 people, including task planning, training, discipline and related administrative tasks;
- Customer liaison, follow up, extension and promotional events;
- Logistics- management of drivers, maintenance of fleet, scheduling, loading of trucks, deliveries and stock control;
- Overall management of production including seedling growth and fertilization, spraying operations, record keeping and seedling irrigation (water management);
- Procurement, record keeping and inventory control;
- Maintenance of nursery infrastructure (including borehole and irrigation);
- Maintenance of general nursery hygiene.
- A relevant horticultural qualification
- At least 3-5 years of hands-on management experience in an intensive agric/hort setting;
- A passion for growing plants and a real desire to be a part of the nursery industry;
- Prior experience in the seedling, vegetable or forestry industry is preferred;
- Excellent customer relations skills and work well in a team
- Strong labour management ability
- Fluency in isiZulu, English and Afrikaans
- A high level of self-motivation and the ability to pay great attention to detail.
This is a demanding and hands-on role which requires exceptional attention to detail and will best suit a technically and practically minded grower who will treat the operation as their own. It's not a '9-5' job and requires dedication, discipline and self-motivation with flexibility in time being required, depending on the season. An excellent, rewarding career opportunity and great team to work with await the right person!