Job Description :
This position has now been filled, don't miss out on the next one. Send us your CV and we will let you know when a suitable job becomes available.
A commercial vegetable seedling nursery in the Western Cape currently has a vacancy for a Production Manager.
Based near Stellenbosch, the operation services commercial farmers, mainly in the Western Cape, with a nursery capacity of around 40 000 trays.
The Production Manager will report to the CEO and take on responsibility for all aspects of production to ensure seedlings are grown to client specification and timing. This includes: tray treatment, medium manufacturing, sowing, stock management, weed, pest and disease control, irrigation and fertigation management, quality control and growth monitoring. The role will also encompass overseeing maintenance (irrigation, greenhouse, infrastructure etc.), risk management, staff management and all production-related administration.
- Matric with a relevant tertiary agricultural or horticultural qualification;
- Experience in intensive, commercial plant production;
- Good knowledge of greenhouse and hydroponic growing techniques;
- Very strong planning and organisational ability, must be able to effectively manage processes/ systems;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- An absolute passion for hands on plant production;
- Good basic maintenance skills (mechanical/ electrical);
- Computer literacy;
- Good general health and fitness.